C.I.E. Essay Contest Rules
1. Open to all students grades 4-12 attending public, private, or home schools in Delaware County.
2. Students will write an original essay. Essays will be judged on the writer’s ability to effectively communicate the theme and on the appropriate use of illustrations and personal application.
3. Maximum word lengths:
- Division I 250 words Grades 4-5
- Division II 600 words Grades 6-8
- Division III 1,000 words Grades 9-12
4. An official entry form must be printed carefully by the student and submitted with the essay. To ensure anonymity in judging, the student name should appear ONLY on the entry form, not on the pages of the essay itself. Please DO NOT submit a cover sheet. Please include essay’s total number of words on last page.
5. Entries must be legible and may be typed, computer-generated, or handwritten. Please include a word count.
6. Entries must be post marked no later than February 10, 2020.
7. A panel of judges will select three winning essays in each division, and the decision of the judges will be final.
8. Winners will be announced on Monday, April 13, 2020 at an awards reception (6:30 pm at Muncie Central Auditorium).
9. Each participating school may have up to two winning writers who receive $20 each. The three top winners in each division will receive a plaque and a cash award. First place winners in the Elementary and Middle School Divisions receive $250, second place, $150, and third place, $100. First place winner in the High School Division receives $1,000, second place, $500, and third place, $250. All entries receive a ‘Certificate of Participation.’
All entries become the property of the Committee and may be displayed and/or published for community reading.